Sunday, April 21, 2019

Growth Mindset


Growth Mindset: Sal Kahn Elicits Curiosity
Growth Mindset & Feedback
Extra Credit

Sal Khan interviews Carol Dweck Mindset Kit | Sal Khan interview with Carol Dweck

Khan Academy
logo
I have grown up using Khan Academy as a reference, supplement, and complement to my existing classwork, especially during high school. Sal Khan’s now legendary voice has echoed in my head through hours of Chemistry homework. Without a doubt, his simplicity in explaining difficult topics and ability to work through grueling problems saved me on homework and tests more times than I can count.
I did not realize that he purposefully utilized growth mindset statements within his mathematics videos. Although I have watched the beginning video with Carol Dweck and I did read the three articles criticising growth mindset, and its subsequent grouping with grit, I am curious to see how it would be fully implemented into an educational setting. I am in complete agreement with the shift in focus on praise and love the “not yet” approach to failure and can see its application in mathematics, I want to learn more about its implementation in terms of curriculum and age related outcomes. I recently sat in on a few middle school classes as a class assignment. I was amazed how disconnected, unengaged, and disrespectful the students were toward, not only the teacher, but learning itself and wonder if somehow the positive affirmations given to students regarding their academic abilities is flawed. Very thought provoking content...I am beyond curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment